Sunday 9 February 2014

Welcome to my blog

The inspiration for my blog was as a result of reading various 'allotment' gardening books and blogs, I then realised that you can actually do quite a lot without being a pro and enjoy the successes that it brings.

I plan to update you on a weekly / monthly basis on what I have been doing in my greenhouse and on the allotment... that's if it stops raining any time soon!!!

Today, I ventured over to my allotment to check it out after all this rain and to my surprise it is looking good, only a few minor weeds to contend with and once it dries up a little I will set to work to ensure that the ground remains prepared ready for planting.

My Jobs for February...

Start 'chitting' seed potatoes
My seed potatoes arrived the other week and I was really excited to unpack them. I would say that it is really worth spending the extra money to buy good-quality tubers rather than saving and re-using your own, as they are fairly certain to be disease-free.  

Spread compost or manure
Feed your soil with compost or well-rotted manure. Next weekend I will be raking in / spreading manure pellets. Due to the recent weather I will be letting them become incorporated naturally as the ground will be too heavy and messy. 

Clean Pots and trays
I have started to dig out my pots and seed trays to give them a thorough wash and clean with a weak soap / bleach solution as it is important not to allow any diseases from last year to carry over to this year. 

Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment