Sunday 23 February 2014

Dwarf Fruit Trees Arrive

When you do order plants rather than seeds online - I get great excitement out of seeing the delivery man walking up my drive come to the front door and seeing those words 'LIVE PLANTS - OPEN IMMEDIATELY' printed on the box.

Well, yesterday this happened and I proudly took delivery of my dwarf fruit trees Plum - Black Amber, Cherry - Prunus Avium Sylvia, Pear - Doyenne Du Comice and 2 variety of Apple (Gala and Yellow). 
I just have to wait for the weather to improve to plant them. This is the first time I have grown fruit trees so I can't wait to see how they do.

As these are young, specifically bred on a dwarf rootstock I will support them with tree stakes. If you do not have an allotment these specifically bred on dwarf rootstock varieties can be grown in patio containers. The height is 1m (3ft) with a spread of 1m (3ft). Location; full sun with a harvest period of September, October. Ideally containers should be of a reasonable size and should be able to hold 25 litres of John Innes No3 compost, but no larger than a 60cm (2ft) in diameter.

It is advised that after 2 years each tree is removed from its container along with as much compost as possible and the roots trimmed back. The tree can then be replanted back into its original container with fresh John Innes No3 compost.  

I will keep you updated on there progress through the summer.....

No comments:

Post a Comment